The Church has stood in its present position, in the centre of the Village, from around 1789. Prior to this there was a church building nearer the river Colne, which was prone to flooding. When the current church was built, it was constructed in the form of a large chapel style building.
Please support St James’ Church in Slaithwaite
The bell tower was added twenty years after the initial construction, and later Victorian builders added the present pews and a beautiful tiered gallery to seat the growing population from the surrounding towns. The church clock, on top of the impressive west tower, has a fully working Westminster chime. This sounds the hour, every quarter and every half hour.
Internally there is a very large, well lit, worship space with a beautiful balcony that gives us the capacity of seating 950 people. Behind the pews we have a cafe style area and kitchen; we are able to host wonderful feasts for the community – as well as occasionally hosting post Wedding receptions.