To assist the Vicar with Baptisms at St James Church, Slaithwaite.
- To manage the first contact with those interested in a Baptism / Christening.
- To meet them after a main Sunday Service, check they live within Slaithwaite parish and collect their contact details for the Vicar.
- To check availability for Baptisms with the Vicar and take bookings with those who want a Baptism.
- To keep the Vicar up to date with new Baptism requests.
- To regularly pray for Baptism candidates.
- To assist the Priest taking the Baptism:
- To get the church ready, put water in the font, get candles lit and ensure the Church is ready.
- To pray with the Vicar before the service.
- To welcome those arriving for Baptism, help visitors find their seat, and to hand out service booklets.
- To help during the service with Bible readings and assist the Priest with the candles and certificates.
- To clear up after the Baptism.
- To follow up after Baptisms
- Contact Baptism families after the service to invite them back to Church
- To pray for Baptism families.
- To send a card to families on the anniversary of Baptism up to 5 years.
Following best practice for Safeguarding, the Baptism Coordinator will need to complete a Confidential Declaration and have a DBS check. The person needs to be at Church most Sundays to meet people after the service, and maintain confidentiality. The person needs to be able to attend most Baptisms at St James and be keen to help the Vicar, and pray regularly.
Contact Graeme if you are interested in volunteering in this role.