What draws you closer to God? Is it something about the world we live in?
I lift up my eyes to the mountains –Psalm 121
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
What draws you closer to God? Is it something about Jesus?
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.Colossians 1:15-16
What draws you closer to God? Is it something about forgiveness?
Then Jesus straightened upc and asked her, “Woman, where are your accusers? Has no one condemned you?” . “No one, Lord,” she answered. “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Now go and sin no more.”John 8:10-11
What draws you closer to God? Is it simply love?
For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.John 3:16-17
Looking for something to try in Lent?
If you would like to grow closer to God and are looking for something to help, here are two approaches we’re trying in Marsden and Slaithwaite:
Option One: Be part of something positive
During this sermon on the 30th January, I preached about ‘being part of something positive’. There were four suggestions as to how this could be done:
- Make time to pray every day, even a short Lord’s prayer before bed, and pray that you will grow in the knowledge and love of God. Pray that we will welcome new people into our churches.
- Read the gospels to yourself in your own time. Just do it. This is the single most effective way to get to know Jesus better, through the eyewitness accounts of his friends.
- Practice talking to each other about Jesus. Start with someone who loves you and will support you, ask questions and help you. Why not play the game… 10 things I know about Jesus. Don’t be embarrassed… it is easier with a friend than with a stranger and more importantly, you’ll learn something about Jesus.
- Imagine you had to describe Jesus to someone who’d never met him. Can you write that down and give it to me? I’m going to put your thoughts on the website… yet another way to tell people about Jesus.
Option Two: Lent Course
The Reverend Joanna Baxter Fielding and The Reverend Graeme Holdsworth are leading our Churches on the “Rhythm of Life” Lent Course from the Diocese of Leeds. For details of how to join contact Joanna or Graeme. The course is running twice a week throughout Lent:
- Tuesdays at 2pm led by Joanna
- Thursdays at 7:30pm led by Graeme